Why is Peppermint Oil So Popular?
There has been a sizable increase in people looking to ditch their prescription pain medications in exchange for an alternative route. One of the most popular choices is truly going back to the basics: peppermint oil!
Peppermint oil is a potent and natural remedy that has been used for over 200 years. It’s anti-inflammatory properties, numbing effect, and ability to reduce muscle contractions (considered to be caused by calcium channel blockade) gives it a unique place in the arsenal for pain relief.
Topically, peppermint oil is used for headache, myalgias, neuralgias, toothache, oral mucosa inflammation, halitosis, joint pain, osteoarthritis, menopausal symptoms, breast cancer-related hot flashes, intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy, urticaria, for repelling mosquitoes, dental plaque, and breastfeeding discomfort.
Research on the Effects of Peppermint:
Muscle pain, in particular, is often caused by being overworked or strained, which causes lactic acid to accumulate in the muscles. Eventually, the muscle’s movement becomes limited. Peppermint works to combat this by reducing the swelling and acid build up. This, in turn, relaxes the muscles and reduces overall pain.
Here are some findings from a few studies about the benefits of Peppermint Oil for pain:
- A 2004 study addressing musculoskeletal pain and fatigue in patients with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome found topical application of peppermint oil as an effective way to control centralized pain.
- A similar study in Germany tested the efficacy of peppermint oil on pain-related tension headaches. The results were that it worked just as efficiently as acetaminophen but without the harmful side effects!
- A 2016 study published in the Pain Research And Treatment journal concluded that the use of plant-based oils medically, such as peppermint, successfully reduces nerve pain and inflammation.
- A study out of Taiwan’s Hungkuang University in 2014, proved peppermint oil’s ability to decrease pain in individuals with an extensive history of severe neck pain.
- In 2005, at a nursing school in Korea, peppermint was featured in a pain-relieving blend for patients with arthritis. The results showed clear advantages of peppermint oil on both pain relief, as well as depression reduction in the patients.
But how does it work?
Peppermint has all of the following qualities:
- Muscle Relaxant
- Cooling Sensation
Applying peppermint oil to the site of pain provides a direct route to pain relief. The compounds found in peppermint are absorbed through the skin and is able to provide much faster relief than an oral pain relief option.
It provides a cooling effect, which facilitates an immediate numbing sensation. As it is absorbed, the body begins to process it and convert its active compounds into usable material to reduce internal swelling and inflammation.
Lastly, the peppermint oil works on smooth muscles to further relax any irritation and preventing pain from reemerging.
Most importantly, topical peppermint oil does not come with the dangerous side effects many of the other pain relief options available today. Along with its powerful pain relieving qualities, you are also choosing to avoid digestive distress, mood imbalances, weakened immunity, and many more complications that are synonymous with other common painkillers.
On a side note ... What's All the Buzz About Hemp Oil? (Click Here) to Learn More!
Real Time Pain Relief not only cares about the quality ingredients that go into each and every one of our products – but also about the people who buy them. We hope this blog becomes a valued resource for your own personal journey to better health. For more than 17 years, Real Time Pain Relief has provided family safe pain relief made with Nature’s Ingredients. From the useful information in our articles to our high-quality natural products, we hope you feel better and pass it on!
Sources for this article: